Pages

Friday, September 19, 2014

Antique And Vintage Pearl Button Cards

Hello everyone and welcome. 
Louise recently posted some wonderful button card graphics and I thought it might be nice to show you a few more.  
I have a weakness for the natural beauty of old shell buttons. They were often displayed and sold on “pearl” cards.  Finding a new pearl button card is always a treat.
 
This one is free for non commercial use.
While researching the history of shell button manufacturing, I ran across some interesting information on the harvesting of shells on the Mississippi River, provided by the US Fish and Wildlife Service (http://www.fws.gov/midwest/mussel/harvest.html).  On their site, you can download a delightful old book about shell buttons called “The Story of My Life by Billie Button” (Anonymous 1914 Wisconsin Pearl Button Company, La Crosse, WI-http://www.fws.gov/midwest/mussel/teacher/billie_button.html). I highly recommend this one.

The cover of the booklet.
  I hope you enjoy these wonderful pearl button cards.
  Much love to all, Marie
  

2 comments:

Linda said...

One of my gmas worked at the pearl button factory in Lansing Iowa so buttons are a treasure in my book!

Marie said...

J'admire,j'admire toutes ces belles images,je ne m'en lasse pas!
BRAVO a vous de tant de générosité.
J'imagine que cela doit être un immense travail.
Je vous dit MERCI beaucoup,je reviendrais bien souvent les admirer
Amicalement
MC